First Congregational Church of Barkhamsted is located in the Connecticut town of Barkhamsted, at 6 Old Town Hall Road. The church is also known as "Center Church" because it is located in the section of town called Barkhamsted Center.
Join us for our regular Sunday services starting at 10:00 am.
See our "church news" page for information on church activities.
Who We Are
We are a member of the National Association of Congregational Churches (NACCC).
We also belong to the Fellowship of Northeast Congregational Christian Churches (FNCCC).
Our pastor is Rev. Susan Caufield. Susan was called on November 12, 2023 .
Rev. Susan Caufield - pastor of the First Congregational Church of Barkhamsted.
The church was gathered in 1781 as the First Ecclesiastical Society of Barkhamsted. The first meeting house was built in 1784. Reverend Ozias Eels was ordained in 1787 as the first pastor.
In 1843 the Congregation voted to build a new meeting house in the "modern style". The current Greek Revival meeting house was built starting in 1844. The original meeting house was dismantled about the time of the Civil War. The name of the Church was changed to First Orthodox Congregational Society.
In 1914 the Church was incorporated and became the First Congregational Church of Barkhamsted, although it is also known as Barkhamsted Center Church.
The present meetinghouse is in a National Register of Historic Places historic district and is in the final stages of restoration.